wor·sted[woos-tid, wur-stid] noun 1. firmly twisted yarn or thread spun from combed, stapled wool fibers of the same length, for weaving, knitting, etc. Compare woolen. 2. wool cloth woven from such yarns, having a hard, smooth surface and no nap.

Friday, November 2, 2012

Chaining, Slip Stitching, and Other Crochet Basics

We should have probably posted this earlier, but we got so excited that we skipped ahead a bit.  I didn't realize until this morning, that a beginner wouldn't be able to even start the Single Crochet Stitch without learning to Chain first... duh, on my part.

So here is a quick guide to a few basics of crocheting:

The Chain Stitch (ch):

Just about every project I have ever done starts out with chaining.  When I taught my crochet class, I thought it would take me the first 5 minutes to get everyone to master the chain... I was wrong, it took the whole hour of class to get everyone on the same page.  So don't worry if it takes you a bit to master the chain... there are LOTS of people that find it a bit tricky.  But the key is practice and soon it will be second nature!

For pictures and written instructions, please see this site here!  (Left-handers click here!)

Here's the video:



The Slip Stitch (ss):

It is embarrassing to admit, but when I first started crocheting I thought the slip stitch was the single crochet.  I actually made a whole headband in nothing but slip stitches!!  I felt like such a dork!

There are way better websites to explain the slip stitch than I can.  But I will point you in the right direction!

Here is a really good video on how to slip stitch:



Finishing off:

At the end of the pattern you are doing, it will say "finish off".  This is how you do that:




Working in Rounds:

You will need to know this if you are going to make a hat or anything rounded.  The beginning of the pattern will sometimes say: "Ch 4, ss in first ch to form loop"  This means, you will chain 4 times, then you will slip stitch into the first chain hole and it will form a loop.

Here is a great video that explains all about working in rounds:



I hope that helps you get off to a great start!!

Note:  If you are a book learner, and videos don't help, Lion Brand Yarn has a fantastic illustrated guide you should check out!  You can see it here!

Happy Crocheting!

-Cat

You can also check out these beginner crochet posts:
So you want to Crochet: Starting Out
So you want to Crochet: How to Read a Pattern
How to do the Single Crochet Stitch
8 Free Patterns to Practice Single Crochet Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...