wor·sted[woos-tid, wur-stid] noun 1. firmly twisted yarn or thread spun from combed, stapled wool fibers of the same length, for weaving, knitting, etc. Compare woolen. 2. wool cloth woven from such yarns, having a hard, smooth surface and no nap.

Friday, December 27, 2013

Crochet Nativity Set (Part One)

I am so excited to finally post about this project I have been doing this year.  The idea came from a fellow crocheter and blogger, Chelsea from A Chick w/ Sticks.  But of course, I really wanted to make it my own.
(I actually made 7 sets, but had already sent out 2 before I remembered to take pics!)

I made 7 Nativity Sets.  Well, they aren't complete YET.  Since I am making so many, I have scheduled this as a 3 year project.  This year, my family received these:



This basic set included:
Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus, Angel, and stable carrier case.

You can find the original patterns here:
Mary
Joseph
Baby Jesus
Manger
Angel
Stable Carrier Case (Crocheted Cheche) {UPDATE!! If you have a hard time getting this, please email me: nutsinanutshell(at)gmail(dot)com and I will "help" you out.} 

And then I made my own adjustments:

For the figures, I didn't want finger puppets, and I wanted to make them bigger.  So I used a G hook, and then I used the stuffing option that the pattern gives.

Mary: I gave her some white trim.

Joseph: I used a darker green, and I added a belt for him.

Baby Jesus:  I made the baby with the smaller hook required in the pattern, I tried it with the G but the baby was WAY to big!  Then I made the manger from the magazine pattern -- but I made the straw a little more loopy.  AND the manger is reversible... so I can turn the straw in and put baby on top if I want.

Angel:  I didn't like the pattern wings -- I thought they looked more like a butterfly's.  So I designed my own.  I wanted them to look graceful and "falling".


Stable Carrier Case:  I actually made this a little bigger than the pattern asks for.  I also made the star bigger too.

NEXT YEAR

This project is the first installment of a 3 year project.  This next year (2014) I will be adding the shepherds, some sheep (my own design), and a donkey (which will be my own design as well), and my family members will get to add them to their collections.

In 2015, I will be doing the 3 wise men, and a camel (again, will be my design).  I will be including the patterns for FREE on this site when I get them done so you will be able to add them to your own nativity sets... yay!

-Cat

2015 UPDATES!!!!

The Nativity Part 2 is up!!!  It includes the links to the shepherds and my own patterns for FREE for the Donkey and the Sheep!!  Click here!!



Pin It

26 comments:

  1. These are so cute! Do you know when you'll be posting Part Two? I'm definitely going to start on Part One. Would you be able to share your pattern adjustments for the angel wings and manger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila -- I am working on making the second part right now. Things are going a little slow, because I am getting ready to have a baby in the next month... but the next part will include the shepherds and some sheep. I will try to come up with the angel wings... but I am honestly not sure if I can remember how I did them! lol. But I will give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! If you can't remember the wings, don't worry about it. They're just so pretty! :D

      I've been searching for the pattern for the stable and I can't find it anywhere. I've tried your link but it only took me to a site that downloaded a virus to my computer. Any idea where I could find it? Or would you be able to email it to me?

      Delete
    2. Thanks for telling me about that link!! I will have to get that fixed. Send me an email at nutsinanutshell@gmail.com and we will find it for you :)

      Delete
    3. I also am looking for the stable carrier pattern , I sent you an email ,no Reply yet

      Delete
    4. My email address is shersmith2003@yahoo.com

      Delete
  3. Hi Cat. Thank you so much for sharing this pattern! It will work great for a travelling nativity set that I am making for Christmas 2015. The plan is for all the families at our church to experience a visit from Mary and Joseph on their travels to Bethlehem.
    I am also having difficulty with the stable pattern. Please would you be able to send it to me? My email is: csn.docherty@gmail.com
    Thanks once again for sharing!
    Love Chantelle x

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello cat,
    I could their Christmas crib in the bag admire just great today. I'd love to crochet stable carrier envelope. but could not find instructions, can help me with this? Excuse my bad english I lack something the exercise. My e-mail address is fledi2612@web.de Greetings from Germany Greetings steffie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cat, Stumbled upon the nativity scene as I was searching finger puppet ideas for my LO, next project is this. Can u email me the stable carrier at sharmiladantas25@gmail.com. Regards,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, just wanted to let anyone who is having problems finding the stable pattern, I finally found it on Annie's e-patterns. It was only $3.29 for instant pdf download. Thanks for your lovely nativity ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, just wanted to let anyone who is having problems finding the stable pattern, I finally found it on Annie's e-patterns. It was only $3.29 for instant pdf download. Thanks for your lovely nativity ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks Cat, for helping me with the download for the stable and manger. I can't wait to start on this project to give out as Christmas gifts, sharing the true reason we celebrate!
    Thanks again,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg. this is so cute. I'm trying to bravely embark on this project for a friend who recently found God - but I can't seem to find the Stable carrying case thingie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shyni -- Email me at nutsinanutshell@gmail.com and I will hook you up :)

      Delete
    2. Shyni -- Email me at nutsinanutshell@gmail.com and I will hook you up :)

      Delete
  11. I am also have problems getting the stable carrying case. Could you email me @ juanitahbostian@ymail.com thanks hun

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am also have problems getting the stable carrying case. Could you email me @ juanitahbostian@ymail.com thanks hun

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your angle wings are PERFECT. And I am somewhat of an angel snob - love angels, not cherubs. First grandbaby due in May. Think I have til Christmas 2017 to finish this set. Truly you have been inspired by the Holy Spirit. MB Paz

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this so much! I am trying unsuccessfully to obtain the pattern for the nativity creche only. You mentioned you would "help" if we needed it, any way I could get some tips on how to get that?
    Thanks so much! my email is juliskool@yahoo.com. -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am also having problems getting the stable carrying case. Would love to make this for some young Sunday school kids. Could you Please help me. my email address is gracenjesse@yahoo.com. Also how did you do the angel wings?
    Thank You - Grace

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aaaargh...I need your "help" with getting the creche, please.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am having trouble getting the stable case and the manger.. Do you think you can help me out? My email is alyssaallyne@yahoo.com.. please and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am having trouble getting the stablecase and manger too willyou please help me? my email is jenny-van-eden@Hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I have not been able to download the pattern for stable and manger - can you please if let me know how I can get it or if possible email the pattern to me if you have it - my email is vrirani@yahoo.com

    Thank you in advance and God Bless.
    -Veena

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, could you please email me the stable pattern please? mollymoodesigns1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...